Dr. Carol Holcomb
- Ph.D., Baylor University 1999 (Ph.D. Dissertation Title, "Mothering the South: The Influence of Gender and the Social Gospel on the Social Views of the Leadership of Woman's Missionary Union, SBC, 1888-1930."
- M.Div. Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, 1992.
- B.A. Louisiana Tech University, 1988 .
- Professor, College of Christian Studies, University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, Belton, TX, 1999-2010.
- Lecturer, George W. Truett Theological Seminary, Waco, TX, 1998-99.
- Administrative Assistant, Oral History Association, Baylor University, 1996-98.
- Graduate Assistant to Dr. William Pitts, Baylor University, Waco, TX, 1994-96.
- Editorial Assistant, Journal of Texas Baptist History, 1995-96.
- Administrative Assistant, Baylor in Great Britain program, 1994-95.
History of Christianity; Baptist History; American Religious History; Women in American Christianity; Ministerial Practicum; Early and Medieval Church History; Renaissance and Reformation; Old Testament Survey; New Testament Survey; Christianity in the Modern Era.
Area of Expertise
Church History, Baptist Studies, and Women in American Christianity
- "Congregational Polity: A Recipe for Anarchy?" in Brian Brewer, ed. Judson Press, forthcoming.
- "Where did Baptists Get their Name?" Baptists Today (December 2009), 8-9.
- "Creeds, Chaos, and the Holy Spirit," Baptists Today (July 2, 2007) reprinted in The Whitsitt Journal 15.2 (Fall 2007), 16 ff.
- "Baptist Polity and the Turn Toward National Denominational Organizations: 1792-1814," in Mike Williams and Walter Shurden, eds. Turning Points in Baptist History Macon: Mercer University Press, 2008.
- "Baptist Confessions of Faith," article published in Biblical Recorder, Word & Way, and the Mainstream Baptist Network Journal, (Spring 2005).
- "Blanche Groves Missionary to China," Brief Basics for Texas Baptists, Baptist Way Press, December 2002.
- "Doing Church Baptist Style: Congregationalism," Pamphlet published jointly by the Southern Baptist Historical Society and the Whitsitt Baptist Heritage Society, May 2001.
- "The Kingdom at Hand: The Social Gospel and the Personal Service Department of WMU, SBC," in Baptist History and Heritage (Spring 2000): 49-66. Winner of the 2001 Norman Cox Award for the best article published by the Southern Baptist Historical Society.
- "The History of Southern Baptist History," in Baptist History and Heritage (Summer/Fall 1999): 40-48.
- "Coming into a New Awareness: The Election of Women Deacons at Seventh and James Baptist Church, Waco, Texas."Journal of Texas Baptist History (Vol. 18 1998): 1-26.
- C. Douglas Weaver, In Search of the New Testament Church: The Baptist Story, (Macon: Mercer Press, 2008) inPerspectives in Religious Studies.
- "Building a Publishing Empire: The Annie Armstrong Era of Woman's Missionary Union," American Academy of Religion, Southwest Region, March 13, 2010.
- "Building a Publishing Empire: The Annie Armstrong Era of Woman's Missionary Union," Pruit Memorial Symposium, Baylor University, October 1-3, 2009.
- "Tinkers and Poormen: Baptists and Grassroots Religion 1609-2009," Keynote Address, Baptist History and Heritage Society, Huntsville, Alabama, June 2009.
- "Southern Baptist Women and Southern Progressivism," B.H. Carroll Summer Colloquy, Arlington, Texas, June 2009.
- "Building an Empire: Annie Armstrong and the Publishing Work of WMU," UMHB Ministerial Forum, March 2009.
- "Southern Baptist Women and Southern Progressivism: The Social Reform Vision of Fannie Exile Scudder Heck." Paper read at the American Society of Church History, New York, New York, January 2009.
- "Baptists and the Shaping of American Culture" Presidential Address, Baptist History and Heritage Society, May 2006.
- "Southern Belles and the Social Gospel." Paper read at the Southern Historical Association, Memphis Tennessee, November 2004.
- "Teaching Baptist Classics," Baptist Classics Seminar, Mercer Center for Baptist Studies, Macon, Georgia, September 2003.
- "Vintage Vines: Fannie Heck and Social Service." Texas WMU Associational Summit Meeting, May 4, 2002.
- "Gender, Social Work, and the Second Wave of American Fundamentalism," Paper read at the Southwest Regional Meeting of the American Academy of Religion, History of Christianity Section, March 2002.
- "Integrating Faith and Learning in the Classroom," Panel Discussion at the Southwest Regional Meeting of the National Association of Baptist Professors of Religion, March 2002.
- "The Kingdom at Hand: The Social Gospel and the Personal Service Department of WMU, SBC," Paper read at the Southwest Regional Meeting of the American Academy of Religion, History of Christianity Section, March 2000.
- Panel Discussant of God's Long Summer: Stories of Faith and Civil Rights by Charles Marsh, (Princeton University Press, 1997), American Society of Church History, Washington, D.C., January 7-10, 1999.
- "Oral History for Baptist Churches." Presentation to Louisiana Baptist Historical Society, May 4,1997.
- "A Perfect Religious Hope: A Comparison of the Social Gospel Movement Among Southern Methodist and Southern Baptist Women. " Paper read at the Southwest Regional Meeting of the American Academy of Religion, History of Christianity Section, March 1996.
Service (missions, ministry, etc...)
Preschool Sunday School Teacher, Chair, Youth and Children's Committee, Meadow Oaks Baptist Church, Temple, TX
American Academy of Religion; American Society of Church History; Baptist History and Heritage Society; Fellowship of Baptist Historians; National Association of Baptist Professors of Religion; Southern Baptist Historical Society; Texas Baptist Historical Society;
Faculty Award for Excellence in Scholarship, University of Mary Hardin Baylor (2007); Norman Cox Award for best article published by the Southern Baptist Historical Society (2001); Outstanding Student of the Graduate School, Baylor University (1999); Fourth year doctoral fellowship, Baylor University (1995-96); Robert A. Baker Church History Award, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (1991)