Dr. Tim Crawford
Dean, College of Christian Studies
Office: Meyer 105
UMHB Mail Box:UMHB Box 8422900 College St, Box 8422BeltonTX76513
Phone: (254) 295-4180(254) 295-4180
Resumé (CV): Curriculum Vitae (Résumé)
Subjects Taught: Old and New Testament, Hebrew
Degrees Earned: B.A. Samford University, M.Div. Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Ph.D. The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary Further Study Oriental Studies Faculty, Cambridge University; Hebrew Union College/Jewish Institute of Religion, Cincinnati, Oh
- B.A. cum laude, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama, May 1980. Major: Religion; Minor: History.
- M.Div. Southwestern Seminary, Ft. Worth, Texas, May 1984. Areas of Concentration: Hebrew, Greek, Archaeology.
- Ph.D. Southern Seminary, Louisville, Kentucky, May 1990. Seminar Areas: Hebrew, Old Testament History, Hellenistic Greek (seminars included Masoretic Studies, Aramaic, Inscriptions, Old Testament Patriarchal Period, Intertestamental Literature, and Pauline Letters); Dissertation: “Blessing and Curse in Syro-Palestinian Inscriptions of the Iron Age.”
Graduate & Post-Graduate Studies (selected)
- “Christianity and the Holocaust: History, Analysis, Implications,” a seminar at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, Washington, DC, June 15-19, 2009
- Traveling Seminar in Spain, “Jews, Christians, & Muslims in Medieval Spain.” June 2004. Berger Grant Recipient
- “Things Which Are Caesar’s, Things Which Are God’s: Religion, Liberal Democracy, and the Public Forum” Seminar with Paul J. Weithman (Notre Dame University) at the National Humanities Center, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, June 2002
- Travel to Holocaust Related Sites in Germany, the Czech Republic, Austria, and Poland, Summer 2001
- “Universal Human Rights in International Contexts” Seminar with Elizabeth Kiss (Duke University) at the National Humanities Center, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, June 1998
- Sabbatical Leave spent at Hebrew Union College/Jewish Institute of Religion, Cincinnati, Ohio. Studies in Akkadian, Rabbinical Literature, and Post-Holocaust Theology. Advanced Studies in Hebrew and Aramaic, Fall 1997
- Excavation at Tell Rehov, Israel, July 1997, under the supervision of Professor Amihai Mazar of the Hebrew University, Jerusalem
- Eastern European Summer Seminar, Tour of Holocaust related sites in Poland, the Czech Republic, and Germany, June 1997
- Lessons and Legacies Summer Seminar on the Holocaust, Northwestern University, June 1996
- “Lilly Teaching Fellow” participant in year-long workshop sponsored by the Lilly Foundation and the American Academy of Religion, “Teaching Religion in the South,” 1995–96
- “Cultural Memory” Seminar with Leo Spitzer and Marianne Hirsch at the National Humanities Center, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, June 1994
- Independent Studies in the Pentateuch and Job with Professor E. W. Nicholson, Provost of Oriel College, Oxford University (visiting the USA) Spring 1989
- Studies with H.G.M. Williamson in Old and Imperial Aramaic and Hebrew, The Oriental Studies Faculty, University of Cambridge, Lent Term, 1987
- Studies in Akkadian (Neo-Assyrian and Neo-Babylonian) with Professor Thomas Smothers, Southern Seminary, 1987-88
- Studies in Phoenician Inscriptions, with Professor Smothers, Southern Seminary, 1986
- Excavation at Tel Batash (Timnah), Israel under the supervision of Professor George Kelm of the Southwestern Seminary and Professor Amihai Mazar of the Hebrew University, Jerusalem, 1983 and 1985.
Area of Expertise
Bible, Hebrew, and Holocaust Studies
- Current project: preparing a new edition of Page Kelley’s Biblical Hebrew, An Introductory Grammar for Eerdmans, projected 2012(?).
- “Reading Samson with the Dead.” Perspectives in Religious Studies Fall 2008 (35.3) 223-36.
- Articles for The New Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible, Abingdon Press: “Corner, Ascent of the,” “Corrections of the Scribes,” “Masora,” “Masoretes,” Tadmor,” “Tahpanhes,” “Talmai,” Tappuah,” Telaim,” “Terah,” “Uzzen-Sheerah,” and “Zuriel.”
- “Integrating the Masorah into Classroom Instruction: In Tribute to Page H. Kelley” with D.S. Mynatt. Perspectives in Religious Studies Winter 2001 (28.4) 373–84.
- Review of A. Dotan’s Biblia Hebraica Leningradensia. on-line at TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism, vol. 6 (2001).http://rosetta.reltech.org/TC/vol06/Dotan-ed2001rev.html
- “Taking the Promised Land, Leaving the Promised Land: Luke’s Use of Joshua as a Christian Foundation Story.” Review and Expositor 95/2 (Spring 1998) 251-62. Also on-line at http://www.rande.org
- The Masorah of Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia: Introduction and Annotated Glossary. Written with P.H. Kelley and D.S. Mynatt. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1998. (This book was translated into German in 2003 Die Masora der Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia, Einfürung und Kommentiertes Glossar, Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft. It was translated into Korean in 2010.)
- A Handbook to: Biblical Hebrew, An Introductory Grammar. Produced with P.H. Kelley and T.L. Burden. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1994. (Translated into Korean in 2001.)
- A series of thirteen articles in the Religious Herald (the state Baptist paper of the Baptist General Association of Virginia) providing adult Sunday School Commentary on Genesis 12–50. January 3–March 25, 1993, vol. CLXV.
- Blessing and Curse in Syro-Palestinian Inscriptions of the Iron Age, New York: Peter Lang Publishing, Inc., 1992.
- Articles for the Mercer Dictionary of the Bible (Watson E. Mills, gen. ed. Mercer University Press, 1990): “Ashdod,” “Ashkelon,” “Ekron,” “Gaza,” “Gath,” “Nebuchadrezzar,” “Mediterranean Sea.”
- “Thoughts on the History, Grammar, and Translation of Hebrew.” Belmont University lecture series, Nashville, TN, February 8, 2010.
- “Reading Samson with the Dead” Presidential Address to the National Association of Baptist Professors of Religion, Belmont University, May 2008.
- Response to the author on the use of Barry Bandstra’s Reading the Old Testament, An Introduction to the Hebrew Bible, Regional Meeting of the American Academy of Religion/Society of Biblical Literature, Winston-Salem, NC, March 2005.
- “The Use of a Collaborative Website for the Teaching of Biblical Hebrew,” NAPH session at the Annual Meeting of American Academy of Religion/Society of Biblical Literature, November 2003.
- Producing a Website to assist in the Teaching of the Biblical Languages, the second year. ACA Technology Summit, Johnson City, TN, October 2002.
- Producing a Website to assist in the Teaching of the Biblical Languages, the first year. ACA Technology Summit, Johnson City, TN, October 2001.
- Review of Biblia Hebraica Leningradensia, Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Religion/Society of Biblical Literature, Nashville, TN, November 2000.
- “Using Technology to Teach About the Holocaust” Appalachian College Association Teaching Conference, May 2000 and ACA Technology Summit, Knoxville, TN, October 2000.
- “Using the Masorah of Biblia Hebraica Quinta in the Teaching of Hebrew and Hebrew Bible” Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Religion/Society of Biblical Literature, Boston, MA, November 21, 1999.
- Response Paper on “Teaching the Masorah in Universities and Seminaries” Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Religion/Society of Biblical Literature, Orlando, FL, November 1998.
- “Taking the Promised Land, Leaving the Promised Land: Luke’s Use of Joshua as a Christian Foundation Story.” Regional Meeting of the American Academy of Religion/Society of Biblical Literature, Knoxville, TN, March 1998.
Service (missions, ministry, etc...)
- Meadow Oaks Baptist Church, Temple, TX, adult Sunday School teacher, choir member, personnel committee, since fall 2008
- Lenten Bible Study Leader, St. Christopher’s Episcopal Church, Killeen, TX March-April 2009
- First Baptist Church, Bluefield, WV (affiliated with the Baptist General Association of Virginia): deacon, adult Sunday School Teacher, choir member, children’s worker, Pastor Search, Personnel, and Scholarship Committees, 1990-2008
- While at Bluefield College numerous Winter Bible Studies and preaching opportunities at various churches
- Highland Baptist Church, Louisville, KY, adult Sunday School Teacher and choir member, 1985-1990
- Gambrell Street Baptist Church, Fort Worth, TX, deacon, children’s Sunday School Teacher, choir member
- First Baptist Church, Huntsville, AL, youth group, choir, missions trips
- National Association of Baptist Professors of Religion
- Society of Biblical Literature
- National Association of Professors of Hebrew
- International Organization for Masoretic Studies
- Berger Foundation Grant for Travel to Spain, June 2004, to study Jews, Christians, and Muslims in Medieval Spain
- Outstanding Teaching Award, Bluefield College, 1995 & 2003 (faculty selection)
- Alpha Chi Educator of the Year, Bluefield College, 2006–2007 (student selection)
- Listed in Directory of American Scholars
- Who’s Who Among American Teachers 2006
- Who’s Who in American Education 2007-2008